It was March 28, 1870, when a little group of Lutherans in Davenport purchased a lot at 5th and Myrtle streets for $500. They started building a frame structure to serve as a church and school, with a 2-story parsonage.
The building was 32 feet wide by 40 feet long. The 2-story parsonage was 12 feet wide by 32 feet long. Dedication was June 12, 1870; the cost was $2,128.90 to the penny.
To the penny, that’s how frugally generous these Lutherans were. Every penny given by the Lord’s people and stirred by Him, they worked to spread the Gospel.
And, look at what was built: a church to receive His divine gifts of forgiveness, a building to teach children Christ, and a parsonage to house the pastor and family, for the Word and the Sacraments are the life of the church.
Would not those dear saints rejoice if they could see now the unfolding of Gospel work over a century and a half?
In a very real sense, we are learning still from them. Their faith in Christ, dedication, confidence to move forward, their sacrifice of themselves and offerings, all of which, comes from the Father’s gift of His Son.
Even now they witness beyond their death.
-Pastor Randall Golter